Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Home Made Piñatas

For Cinco de Mayo I wanted to make some piñatas for my fiesta.

First I blew up a balloon and shredded some newspaper:





I applied the strips of paper using a flour and water combo. (One part water, one part flour: boiled and cooled. Makes for a strong paste!)
















After letting the strips harden over night, I applied another layer of newspaper.


I felt that the newspaper wasn't as strong as I would like it to be, so my next layer was with a thick cardboard/ cardstock material. I also applied it to the balloon form with the flour paste.
 Once that was thoroughly dried, I began applying the decorative shell. I took several layers of tissue paper and cut squares. I applied the tissue to the balloon with a glue stick.










When I was close to completing covering the balloon, I cut a hole to insert the goodies.The balloon popped inside and shriveled up. Upon removing the balloon, I inserted the candies. Once completed, I used duct tape to seal up the hole and finished gluing the tissue paper on it.

The the finished piñatas:




No comments:

Post a Comment